Thursday 21 June 2007

Weary of today...

1st blog...no idea what to say or why I am saying it!

Another frustrating day at the World Centre for Disastrous Career Decisions. Our optical table (weight about 3/4 tonne) won't go in the lift no matter which way we push or shove. 9 guys (8 guys + 1 gal) turned up to help shift it but they don't have the permission to stretch the lift. It fails to clear the door opening by about 1 millimetre. Now tell me there's no such thing as Sod's Law!

Then I decided to get on with my real job - a simple matter of machining some gauge plate to length. Didn't fancy sawing my way through a piece of tough steel 40mmx20mm so I put it in the cut off machine, an abrasive wheel gismo with an automatic feed. Went off quickly to the loo and came back to smoke, vibration and a ruined piece of steel. I'm really not very good at this job at times. Now I'm convinced the milling machine is clapped out so I am a bit weary of the whole thing. Can't wait to get home and get into my running kit. Out there on the road, no-one can hear you scream - at least they do, but Wiltshire people are too polite to ask...

No comments: